Tuesday 5 February 2013

Ivor Wynne is Completely Down

[courtesy of the Scratching Post]
I realize this post is not reflecting on a team's specific fan group. However, the fact that Ivor Wynne Stadium is now completely down and in piles of rubbish is news for any CFL fan.

Ivor Wynne is a stadium that held a lot of character. Wooden bench seats, trough urinals and pedal sinks. The stadium is known for the sightlines by the fans. The visiting players know how close they are to the next trash talking from the vocal crowd. Over the last 82 years, the stadium became a beautiful piece of history for many people.

As a 25-year-old, I have already experienced many memories within Ivor Wynne Stadium. There has been highs and lows, wins and loses. And as any sports fan, some memories are greater than others. The best memories have come over the last three years.

Christmas 2009, my father surprised my brother and myself with season tickets. It has been a Christmas present that keeps on giving. 'The Ol' Boys' get to attend the Tiger-Cat games together, drink a couple brown pops, cheer Oskee Wee Wee and even a cow bell or two.

There are many more memories, but thought I would touch on the most important memory and let the picture above do all the talking.

It will be missed by many, but I myself am looking forward to Ivor Wynne 2.0 to create new memories and hopefully successful championship seasons by the Tiger-Cats starting in 2014.

7 comments:

  1. Are fans more excited about getting a new stadium or sad to see it go? I think that revamping is nice, but it's always sad to see a piece of history die - no matter how big or small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most fans are in the same mind frame as Ryan; sad to see it go, but looking forward to making new memories! Great tribute video!

      Delete
  2. Its so weird to see it just completely demolished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a football fan, but I think its amazing that you're looking on the bright side the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember an old sportsplex that I used to go to as a kid, they waited far too long for the tear down. A piece of the roof structure fell during a game - that put an end to the old girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always sad when an old building that holds so many memories is torn down. It's almost as though a piece of history has been destroyed. But, I'm sure the new stadium will bring new memories and write a new chapter of history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully the new stadium will create many new memories and will see lots of wins for the Tiger-Cats!

    ReplyDelete