Saturday 9 March 2013

CFL Schedule



This past week the Canadian Football League finally released the 2013 schedule. The schedule is typically released in the month of February to gain some media attention in the down months of the CFL offseason.

This year was a different story. The league had every right to take as much time as they needed to generate the upcoming season's schedule. Although, there was a lot of discussion on fan forums, saying how long it is taking the league, it better be worth it, it can't be that hard, etc. Well this year the league was dealing with issues that they normally don't have to worry about.

First, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are finally moving into a new stadium, after being a year behind schedule - I am sure the league wanted to have a firm date of completion.

Next, the Toronto Argonauts play in a stadium that is home to the Toronto Blue Jays of the MLB. The Blue Jays get first priority for scheduling, since their owners own the stadium as well. Plus, the Rogers Centre is host to many major events and concerts throughout the year that may generate more money than the Argonauts.

Finally, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats home will be away from home this coming season. The Tiger-Cats are playing in Guelph, Ont. at Alumni Stadium, which is also home to the Guelph Gryphons of the CIS. These three situations then have a ripple effect on the rest of the league and teams as well.


Although, I was completely satisfied as a fan and season ticket holder of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, I cannot say the same for other fans. The classic Labour Day game that is played between the Argonauts and Tiger-Cats at (the now demolished) Ivor Wynne Stadium. Fans still expected this game to be played on the same day either in Toronto or Guelph. Neither happened. The two teams will now play on Thanksgiving Monday - aka the 'turkey bowl'. I think this will provide an opportunity for new excitement for fans. Both teams should be competitive this coming season and that game could have major playoff implications.

I have realized over the last few years and this most recent situation with the delayed schedule release that sports fans are never happy. Win or lose they always find a problem with something.

Once the season starts, everyone will forget about this past week and will be focused on their team being victorious each week. Striving for the main goal to win the Grey Cup, being held in Saskatchewan.

So everyone can get excited for another exciting season of CFL football and begin the road to the 101st Grey Cup!



11 comments:

  1. I know my Dad and brother will be pumped for the upcoming season. I on the other hand was completely unaware of all of the changes occurring in the CFL. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I won't sound so unaware next time football comes up at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've convinced me to watch at least one CFL game this year. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting insights into the CFL. Being someone who doesn't watch the league, you have taught me something new. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is definitely true - people always have something to complain about! Your blog definitely teaches me more about the sport that I am unfamiliar with. Thanks! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to hear about the changes going on. Scheduling must be a difficult process, especially with the Rogers centre!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully my dad and I can get out to a couple games this year; he is a massive CFL fan but has never been to one. Awesome blog man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been a huge football fan and have only attended high school games. I do understand how the played so maybe its time to watch how the big leagues do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only ever made it to one CFL game but it was a lot of fun! I hope to make it to another one soon,and thanks for the heads up with all the changes expected this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been to several Tiger cat games. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must be a super sport fan to know all of these. Great information!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never watched a CFL game and I'm ashamed. My dad raised me as a Saints fan so it's all I've ever known (scary, I know) but I really want to go to a game. Thanks for all the info, Ry!

    ReplyDelete